Signs of Alcohol Intoxication:
• Impaired Coordination – slurred speech, unsteady gait, loss of control of fine motor skills such as writing.
• Impaired Judgment – confusion, loss of emotional restraint or stability, excessive liveliness.
• Physical Changes – flushing of the skin, blurred or double vision, irregular breathing, lowering of blood pressure.
Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is characterized by:
• Craving – a strong need, desire, or urge to drink alcohol.
• Loss of Control – not being able to stop, or limit, drinking once drinking has begun.
• Physical Dependence – experiencing withdrawal symptoms after stopping the consumption of alcohol. Withdrawal symptoms may include nausea, sweating, shaking, anxiety, vomiting, mood changes, insomnia, paleness, rapid heart rate, etc. Mild withdrawal symptoms are a sign of a developing problem.
• Tolerance – the need to drink alcohol in greater amounts to get the same effect.
Could you or someone you know have a problem with drugs or alcohol? Call 303.657.3700 or e-mail [email protected] for help. Phone lines are open Monday – Saturday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.